Wednesday, June 22, 2011

.with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Life this week.

A mom is exasperated that her three- and two-year-old are being disobedient: "They KNOW they're not supposed to run! I tell them no running in the house, but they keep disobeying me! I tell them that you're going to come up to the door in just a minute, but they insist on running to the car as soon as they see you pull up!". I try to look exasperated at their disobedience, too...

I send my mother a picture text of my legs, bare from my knees to my flip-flops: "I'm wearing the short-er corduroy skirt we got at Old Navy. Are you proud of me?". Her response: "Always." That is my mother. Sappily, unconditionally glad she is my mom. And consistently pleading with me to show more skin. (Sorry to disappoint, Mama.)

Long, deep, so encouraging g-chat with Sarah while listening to my Ingrid Michaelson station on Pandora.


6:30 breakfast with Chet at Egglectic; staying in the sun-filled booth with my coffee mug and Bible after he leaves before I have to head to work.

Bursting into laughter so hard I almost choke at this text from my sister: "Just realized I wrote my application essay about winning a chicken nugget eating contest... when the organization's focus is hunger."

Spying this crazy balcony covered in flower pots.

 

Copying the words in my journal, tracing them over and over with my pen until they are dark and bold and soaking into my soul:  "...to give knowledge of salvation to His people in the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God". Tender mercy, thanks be to God.

What happens when the tornado warning goes off during dinner with Ryan and Kendra:
 
Everyone else decided it was fine to go out by quarter to nine, but to be safe, we stayed and watched our movie on a laptop in the bathtub until almost 10. You think I'm kidding.


Lisa's children. Who so make up for the sleep I lose (at least one of them is in my bed by 6 every morning I sleep there) by the joy they give.


Laughter-filled meals out with my small group.

I text Tamara, "Do you guys want to do dinner or dessert on Saturday night?". I get back two replies: "Wish we could, we have plans! Different night?", and, "I told Tamara to tell you no, but YES! Let's just make it a surprise!". So we met for dessert... just as suggested :-). SURPRISE!

Kris Delmhorst's "Moscow Song".

Pausing in a parking lot to stare at the summer sky.


1 comment:

Martyn Wendell said...

You have a great life! I am glad we're friends, dude.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.