Saturday, June 11, 2011

In praise of spontaneity.

Things which make sense:

Saving money.
Saving time.
Saving emotional energy.

Things which do not make sense:
Blatantly disregarding all of those things.

Except that I have not been able to get these faces out of my mind the past month. Even more than usual.

Except that I have two weeks between work and grad school where TECHNICALLY, I don't have anything to do. I mean, I could be working an extra few days. And checking and re-checking that all my luggage fits in my car.

Except that I have found myself picturing walking the streets of Cochabamba, dancing in the kitchen of Albergue, hugging the staff of Mosoj Yan, laughing in the office, praying with Lindsay, and not just had an "Aww... that was fun" feeling. But instead an "Ohh... I would LOVE to do that" feeling.

Except that yesterday, I got on orbitz.com just to check ticket prices to Bolivia. Theoretically. For fun. Just to tease myself.

And I sent this text to all of my prayer rockers:
"Convince me why I should NOT go to Bolivia for two weeks before moving to Oregon".

And received quite the range of responses. The expected:
"DON'T DO IT! YOU WILL BE SO STRESSED!"
"Hahahahaha... obviously you're not serious, but that's cute"
"You do realize you have NEGATIVE net worth right now"- thank you Chet.

But to my honest surprise... I also received these:
"I'll do no such thing. That would be amazing!"
"Well, okay... but we're honestly not convinced you shouldn't..."
"If you have the money I'm going to say you should go. It'll allow you to maintain connections with people and a time in your life that were very meaningful."

And held three conversations with my mother. 1. "Are you kidding??!!", 2. "I know you'll pray about it and do the right thing." 3. "I think Bolivia is a good idea. When else?"

And the list of details I made that impossibled it out, fell away one by one.

Several very joyful phone- and Skype- calls, and 20-hours-post-first-thought later...








I arrive July 24.

I can't stop smiling.


Nos vemos en Bolivia, mis amigos bonitos. Estoy veniendo!!


1 comment:

Asharae said...

SO. I'm really excited for you. I think you're going to have an amazing time seeing familiar faces that you love :) And we'll be waiting for you here in the Pacific Northwest to greet you when you return.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.