Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In case this is helpful.

I sent this email out to a bunch of friends yesterday and thought I might as well post it here too!

"oh hey bffs.

so me + Bible reading = stressful lately. I've been getting super stressed and anxious whenever I read it, like check out this cool conversation I keep having with myself:

me: Ooh, I want to read the Bible! I need comfort!
me: Emily, but you shouldn't just read the Bible for COMFORT... You should read it to know Jesus.
me: Oh, right! I want to read it to KNOW JESUS.
(overwhelmed pause)
me: AH. Where do I start?!
(overwhelmed pause)
(overwhelmed flipping through Bible for the RIGHT PASSAGE TO READ!!!!)
me: Ooh, I like this Psalm!
me: But I'm not getting enough out of it. I should be meditating more. Crap, my meditation is so selfish!
me: and aren't you supposed to be in the New Testament because that's where JESUS IS?!!
(frantic opening to New Testament.)
me: Oh this verse helps me to know how to live! That's good!
me: But that's not what Jesus actually said!
(flip to Gospels)
me: but then I don't get the FULL REDEMPTION STORY INCLUDING THE OLD TESTAMENT.
(frantic flipping for old testament)

...you get the idea.

Also, I really would so love to tell you I exaggerated this for comedic effect, but, no. Aren't you so relieved you don't have to live in my brain? Slash HEAR MY PRAYERS? Poor God.

OK, anyway, so in desperation I finally decided I need a new reading plan because then a nice checklist tells me what to read and I don't have to feel all this pressure to Read The Perfect Thing or Read Perfectly.

Some googling produced a handy website that has all these little options where you plug in what you want to read and in how long and in what translation. So I am doing a "Chronological New Testament", which felt manageable. It has readings per day but it's taken me 4 days to do the first, which is fine with me, I just want to have someone telling me what to read next.

ANYWAY. Why am I sending this to all of you? Because sometimes it helps me to know a) that someone else ever feels that way too and b) to have motivation/community to do Bible reading. THIS IS NOT MEANT AS A GUILT OR PRESSURE THING but I just thought I'd send out what I'm doing at the moment in case anyone else is feeling the same way and having even just me be trying to commit-ISH to something with you would be helpful.

And by "Commit-ISH", I mean, pick your own plan, do it at your own pace, just know I'm trying too.

Website is here: http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/read.aspx

Feel free to forward to whoever!
Love you all. Lots and lots.
Em

PS: In case you DON'T have conversations like that in your head... um... I mean me neither. That'd be so weird and awkward. ..."

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.