Saturday, August 29, 2009

Today, I...

(ok, and some were yesterday too but I couldn't figure out a way to make that into a non-awkward-sounding title)

Was taught a new dodgeball-esque type game (I was bad at it)...

Read to the girls from "Harry Potter y La Cámara Secreta" (Chamber of Secrets) for over an hour (reading out loud or being read out loud to is one of my favorite things ever, in any language)...

Was told very mock-concernedly that I should have a third bowl of soup because "Emily, you're too pale" (followed by raucous laughter)...

Answered approximately 800 questions about what "Los Estados Unidos" are like...

Was told that I have to marry a Bolivian man because then I can have half-Bolivian children...

Watched a sweet 13-year-old breastfeed her 5-month-old baby...

Had a conversation with a 14-year-old where she told me that she loves living at Mosoj Yan because she didn't know "the love of God" before and now she does...

Reached to tuck the same girl's hair behind her ear and as I did so saw the scars on her face hidden behind her bangs- she was abandoned as a baby and taken in by a woman who physically abused her for years...

Walked past more beggars than I chose to count, trying not to think about if I'm ignoring them really because I believe there are more strategic ways to help or because I don't want to think about how I don't know what to do with the fact that my God loves them...

Helped with dinner by peeling several potatoes with a knife, each in one long strip (my proudest Bolivian accomplishment thus far)...

Sat on a stool with my host mom chopping said potatoes while Dimelsa (13 year old host sister) stood behind me putting a bunch of tiny braids in my hair...

Watched Cinderella in Spanish with the host sibs...

Read and got comfort from Rilke (and wondered when I turned into such a HNGR cliche)...

Met up with friends of Ryan and Kendra's who are missionaries here for great conversation and a delicious dinner (cooked from the More with Less cookbook, too, yeah!)...

Learned how to say "Mom" in Quechua (my host parents' first language) and started calling my host mother that (Mamai), and heard it returned with the Quechua term for daughter (Wawai).


I realize that this is sort of a random assortment of experiences. Reading Harry Potter and physical abuse; dodgeball and children feeding their children. Laughter and joy, sitting next to pain.
But that's pretty much my time here.

I wouldn't trade any of it.

This week I realized that I am just under half-way through my time in Bolivia. And wondered- is that only half-way through, or already half-way through?

At times it's felt like both, but overall- definitely already. I would give more than I can count to see certain faces or hear certain voices (not just over Skype), but three more months feels short.

I am thankful.

4 comments:

matt said...

I'm mucho impressed that you can peel potatoes so well...I want that skill.

Heather Johnson said...

I love this post- like all the others :) Thanks for sharing

Emily said...

Heather, I love you.

Matt, Thank you, and... I know, right?!!! It rocks. I'll teach you when I get home. (And I also love you, as well).

Christine said...

I want in on that potatoe peeling lesson!!
Emily, you amaze me...sometimes I wish I could have your mind.
I really enjoyed catching up on all that is going on inside of you! I miss talking with you and now I'm even more determined to get that skype date scheduled asap! I'll be booting some things out to make room ;)
I really appreciated your post about the 2 Emilys...I can relate to that for sure.
Love you and miss you!!!

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.