Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Joy, Too.

This week I started spending part of my time at another Mosoj Yan house- Casa Albergue, the second step in the program. It's for girls who were abused physically or sexually, as well as for girls who've finished their process of drug detoxification at RenovaciĆ³n (the house I've been working at so far).

Gabi, the girl I wrote about last week, finished her Ren process recently and moved to Casa Albergue. I was thrilled to be reunited with her and her adorable 13-month-old, Yoselin, and when I saw them I immediately tossed Yosi up in the air and blew raspberries on her belly. Then I set her giggling self down, and she immediately toddled over to her mother who was sitting nearby.

She toddled over to her mother who was sitting nearby.

Pause...

Wait, did she just- Could she do that at Ren- What!?-

"Que-"
"Yosi!"
"O!!!"

The courtyard errupted in exclamations and hugs for this WALKING baby, as she took her first steps right in front of us.

She spent the rest of the afternoon glowingly teetering between my and others' delighted arms and her proud, beautiful 18-year-old mother's affirming kisses.

I'd spent the morning, as I sort of hinted at in the entries yesterday, feeling sick to my stomach and afraid as I've read this month's HNGR readings on poverty and thought about how far I fall of the mark laid out in the book I claim to live by. As I headed to work that day, what I really wanted to do was go into the bathroom and cry for a little bit.

Instead I got to see and be a part of a baby taking her first steps. It doesn't change anything about what I pray I am learning and I don't want it to.

But there is no shortage of joy here, or in life, either.

2 comments:

amyablester said...

Hi dear! I do read your blog. Every entry. Just thought you should know. I just read a poem earlier today that kinda goes along with this post. It's short enough to leave here I think:

Grace
by Jo McDougall

Seeing my grandchildren,
taking them in my arms,
I sometimes think it possible
to dance before the throne of God,
make small talk with Him,
my every jot and tittle of sin
forgiven.

Emily said...

Ameesss, I love you and I love this poem! Miss you so much roommate.

PS- Do you read Mary Oliver? You'd like her.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.