Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mountains; or, I Can't Believe I Get To Live Here!



Cochabamba is completely surrounded by mountains. Like, if you stand anywhere in the whole city and slowly turn 360 degrees, you see mountains.mountains.mountains.mountains.mountains, the whole time.

It is hard to put into words just how much I completely freaking love this.

When walking down the steps five feet from my bedroom door I see mountains. When I'm having my quiet time in a café in the morning I look out the window and see mountains. When I'm reading in a plaza. When I'm running to catch the bus. When I'm buying lunch or walking to work or talking to the girls.... mountains, mountains, mountains, mountains, mountains! All the time!

I walk about a kilometer from the bus stop to work every afternoon... straight into this view:


Sometimes at that point in the day I'm tired or in a bad mood. Doesn't last too long during that walk.

I took these picture sfrom the top of the stairs right near my bedroom:



On my second Sunday night here I was homesick to the point of tears. I walked a few feet down the hall and stood by myself, cried a little bit, and just looked. For whatever reason, looking at the mountains helped.


Earlier this summer I sent a friend who's also a 'mountain person' Psalm 121. Now on harder days, I, too, have daily reminders of those words... "I lift my eyes up to the hills; where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth...".


And on normal days, when I'm just doing HNGR readings in the plaza or chillin' with the Ren girls in the yard or whatnot, and I happen to glance up past the office buildings and see the mountains peeking out beautifully, I just think to myself...


"I CANNOT BELIEVE I GET TO FREAKIN' LIVE HERE!"




1 comment:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.