Friday, October 16, 2009

Celebrating Fall.

Fall is my favorite season. Favorite, favorite, favorite, favorite. I love it, I love it, I love it- so much that it makes me want to say everything multiple times, like "Caramel caramel caramel!" and "Oh I just feel so cozy cozy cozy!". But I mean seriously. I feel that chill in the air and see the leaves start changing and I just get absurdly, ridiculously happy. I love things about every season, but there's something about fall that just makes me think about family and friends and quality time going for walks or sitting in a warmly lit room talking and laughing with everyone you love while drinking something hot and sweet... oh, life.

So as much fun as I'm having here in Bolivia, it is 80 degrees and not an orange leaf or apple cider in sight. So when everyone's g-status and blog updates started popping up with things like "Feels like the first day of fall!" and "Carving pumpkins this weekend!"... I got sort of sad!!

So, I made this list in my journal at the beginning of the month:

"Ways I Am Celebrating Fall That Are Awesome Even If Different From My Usual:

  • Sleeping at the Nybergs' and girl-talking with Lindsay until 1 in the morning
  • Laying on the couch at Ren watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in Spanish with the girls
  • Snuggling with my host sisters
  • Reflecting.
  • Journaling.
  • Planning self-esteem workshops at Albergue
  • Listening to Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Mraz, Nickel Creek, The Weepies, Amos Lee, William Fitzsimmons
  • Coming to cafés and plazas to do HNGR readings and be with You
  • Praying for people I love near and far
  • Having coffee with Ariane (the MY secretary)
  • Using the conditional tense in Spanish
  • Developing excellent vegetable-peeling skills
  • Reading Nouwen
  • Learning from homesickness
  • Trusting God with the future (aka attempting to do so)
  • Looking at mountains
  • Getting to know the missionary community here
  • Taking salsa lessons with the MY staff
  • And much more too... thanks Lord."

So yeah. This is definitely the most different October I've ever had and I may not be celebrating by having any leaf fights or carving pumpkins... but I am celebrating fall greatly all the same (even if it's actually spring where I am).

(And... this post was my way of needing to "change the subject" on this blog a little bit. I'm really glad I wrote the last post- it was important for me to write and important for me to share, and I REALLY appreciate all the sweet comments and emails I got about it. But, yeah... I just kinda needed to post something happy.)

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.