Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ingrid.

So, I just wanted to say a great big thank you to those of you who have extended your gentle and
accepting support to my exploration of harder emotions on this HNGR journey. And by "gentle and accepting support", I really mean, "sharing your completely uncensored glee at the prospect of Emily Goldberg being even a tiny bit angsty" (you know who you are, SARAH AND BREANNE).

Seriously, it is good for me to try to write about the harder things I am seeing and feeling and experiencing. It helps me process it and I like trying to share stuff.

But at the moment?
I am SO UNBELIEVABLY SICK of writing about HNGR angst.

So, instead, today I'm going to write about Ingrid Michaelson.

I love her. Really. If we met on the street, I promise we would be best friends within an hour because she is adorable and I would win her over to Emily's Land of Pursuing Friendships With Adorable People.

I've listened to her fairly incessantly on HNGR. I love her unique voice and that of her back-up singer, I love her quirky lyrics, I love her melodies that are both beautiful and fun. "The Way I Am" helps me wake up, "Sky" makes me dance, "The Chain" makes me WEEP, "Keep Breathing" is beautiful, and I'm going to dance to "Giving Up" at my wedding. I'm totally serious. Can YOU think of a more romantic song than pledging to always stay together, even if I "never let you win/and chase you with a rolling pin"? I know right. That is commitment. Heck yes.

And you know, she helps cheer me up when I just wanna be okay, be okay, be okay, I just wanna be okay today, and she helps me experience Bolivia on a deeper level when I just wanna feel today, feel today, feel today, I just wanna feel something today.

She really helps me orient my heart towards service, too. I mean, after listenin' to some Ingrid, I feel SO motivated to give you my sweater if you are chilly, or buy you Rogaine if you are losing all your hair.

And she helps me affirm my love for my parents. Mom and Dad, get excited. If I get rich someday, I'm TOTALLY gonna buy you a home in the South of France.

If you're reading this and feeling a bit confused, or even a little bit bruised, don't you worry there my honey. I'll soothe your worried looks... by telling you that YOU JUST NEED MORE INGRID IN YOUR LIFE!!!

Which I have made quite easy for you because two of her songs are on the playlist at the bottom of my blog.

I also am extending this post as a gift to all current and future HNGR interns, to help with their self-esteem. In those moments where you are lying sweating under your mosquito net, thinking how you are just a TERRIBLE HNGR intern because you are NOT grateful for your mosquito net but in fact find it claustrophobic, and you are SICK of trying to learn the local language, and unlike some earthy spiritual annoying intern in this week's newsletter who wrote a beautiful dissertation on how much she discerned the Holy Spirit in the tribal drums this week, YOU spent your whole indigenous church service thinking how much you wanted to sing Chris Tomlin...

You can remember how I not only (gasp) listened to AMERICAN MUSIC while on my HNGR internship (on my IPOD, no less), and not only (gasp) UPDATED MY BLOG regularly, but also (unbelievable), UPDATED THE AMERICAN MUSIC ON MY BLOG.

And then you can think to yourself, "Well, I may suck as a HNGR intern, but at least I'm not Emily Goldberg. How did she even get IN??!!".

I promise that when I glide away from Bolivia on soapy heels, I'll come home with nice sweaters and teach you all how to dance.

*happy sigh* It feels nice to not be angsty. Deeper entries to come later this week.

Thanks for taking me the way I am, y'all.

5 comments:

Robin said...

So this has nothing to do with your post, but I was missing you this morning and then I got your email and it was just particularly good timing. I'm glad that you're doing well, and will continue to pray for you as you start the independent study.

Hugs,
Robin

matt said...

Best freaking post EVER. I love you so much and think you're hilarious. Can't wait to see you in a couple of months!

Katerina said...

Hahaha! I remember completely blocking out the foreign language church service for a few months and just doodled and journaled during the sermons. Sometimes "bad intern" is just an "honest intern." Thanks for being honest, dear Em.

Heather Johnson said...

Are you serious? You are ridiculously fuuuunnny. I totally agree with Matt. You, angsty?? I think you are just too cute. I love you!

Leslie said...

Emily, my dear Emily. I have faithfully read ALL of your blog posts as you've posted them but been remiss in commenting... until now. First, I have loved reading ALL of your posts from Bolivia. I am so proud of you. So very proud. Second, this was possibly the best post on earth. (Only slight exaggeration there.) Aside from loving Ingrid's music, which you incorporated VERY well into a post, I love your honesty. You keep going, friend. You're changing the world.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.