Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spring Break Book Poll!

I'm going on a road trip for spring break (yay!). I'm super crazily ridiculously excited.

However. I have been informed by certain people (who may or may not have traveled with me and my reading material before) that I am only allowed to bring THREE BOOKS with me. For 9 days. Three books! Seriously?! Come on.

Unfortunately, one of these certain people... owns the car we'll be taking. So. Yeah. I'm pushing for four, but we'll see.

If you've ever gone anywhere with me where I predict I may have time to read, you know I generally need a lot of variety. How am I supposed to know whether I'm going to be in a novel mood (and then do I want cute funny, or deep moving?) or a spiritual mood (and then something new and convicting or familiar and comforting?) or a poetry mood or a classics... you get the idea.

I think I'm going to take Orthodoxy by Chesterton, because I have it and I've been meaning to read it forever. And I think Life of the Beloved, too, even though I've read it, because 1) I'M OBSESSED WITH IT 2) I haven't read it for awhile and need to, 3) I read it on the last road trip and 4) it's the perfect time-to-reflect-with-Jesus-and-people-you-love book.

But that still leaves me with two more options. Suggestions?! A really thick page-turning good read would be great... but you know. Spiritual. Classics. Poetry. Funny. Whatever.

Also, feel free to voice your opinion that giving someone a book limit on their spring break is ridiculous :-D

4 comments:

Ransom said...

Orthodoxy is great, but there's no clear thesis. There's a lot of "ooh, thats a great quote" lines throughout, but its more of a stream. Personally I prefer Chesterton's Man Who Was Thursday. Generally, from the books you choose, you can't go wrong.

mpm said...

The Bible is a good one; NIV edition is pretty understandable and with low error rate. I like the study bible version.

;)

Emily said...

Hmm... the Bible. That sounds familiar, I think I may have read it already. Try something fresher.

JK! Bible is excluded from the limit. Celtic is not.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read "In His Steps" by Charles M. Sheldon? I love it. It's like WWJD, but written 100 years ago.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.