Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Guy Friends Are Weirder than Your Guy Friends...

So, you know, we all interact with the events of our loved ones' lives in various ways. With interest, of course, and excitement, prayer, concern...

So the whole going on HNGR thing, you know, it means a lot to me when people are interested in that. And excited, and prayerful. YAY! Thanks!

It also means a lot to me when people are concerned. Really. Seriously. (See conversation with my dad here). Thank you, one and all, for your concern.

The guys
, in particular, have been very concerned that I be safe when I go. You know, no walking alone at night, don't act like a tourist, etc. They've been encouraging me to practice self-defense moves and stay away from creepy-looking alleys. OK, cool, thanks guys.

Yeah. So yesterday I had lunch with David and Chet. I got back from getting my food and they were huddled over an iPhone looking at something and wouldn't show me what it was until I made them.

Yeah, it was a Taser. What the heck, I thought, until I noticed something...

It was pink. With "I will not be a victim!" engraved on the side.

Pause. These are not pink-wearing boys. Yep.

OK, seriously?!!

Look, they pointed out, we found you one where you can be safe AND feminine! So isn't that great?! Won't I let them get me one so I can be safe on my Dangerous Third World Trip?!

Um! No!

I think guys maybe show love a little differently than girls do...

2 comments:

Ransom said...

A friend of mine who knows his Berettas from his Springfields recommended a 9mm Glock.

I still like the taser idea because its fairly inexpensive and doesn't come under the same regulations as a firearm which makes it more portable and doesn't require the same permits.

Anonymous said...

RA

love love.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.