Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hair Scarves and Friends

While doing some last-minute Christmas shopping today, I bought myself a cute hair scarf. I went back and forth on it for quite awhile, because how tacky is it to buy something for yourself during Christmas season, until finally my friend I was with pointed out that I'd gone back to look at it three times and I better just get it. Still, I made sure to keep the receipt, telling myself that I was just getting it IN CASE I decided I wanted it, and I would really probably return it.

So anyway, after Target I went over Anna's, where Christina, Claire, Kate, and Danya were gathered to share a Hanukkah celebration. Over latkes and dreidel-shaped cookies (I'm serious. Did I mention Anna's super adorable?), I confessed my hair-scarf purchase to them and asked them if that makes me count as the Grinch.

Here were their responses:

"Well, I'm sure it will look really beautiful on you. So REALLY, it's like you're giving US a gift, because WE get to look at you!"

"Yeah, and also you just made a contribution to the group wardrobe. Thanks!" (We share clothes to the point of ridiculousness. As in, "Hm, I don't have anything to wear to this dinner on Saturday." "Oh, what about Kelly's green dress? And you could borrow Claire's dangly earrings! Perfect!")

"Also, if you look really cute, your social status will go up, and therefore OURS will too because we're friends with you. It'll increase our networking abilities!"

"OH! Just like in Pride and Prejudice! And that could also help us find a husband!" (I'm serious.)

So. My purchase of a hair scarf for myself two days before Christmas, is, in fact, not really selfish because what I actually did was guarantee my friends:
  • A prettier picture upon which to gaze
  • An addition to their borrowing possiblities
  • Higher social and networking status' and...
  • Marital prospects.

Which was totally what I was thinking when I bought it. How Spirit-of-the-Season-y of me.

Basically... my friends are really cute.

1 comment:

mpm said...

I'm not sure that proximal to Christmas purchases have anything to do with Grinchiness...but your friends are nice to assuage your misplaced guilt! :D

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.