Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bits

Things I Like:

*Being done with finals.

*Being done with finals, and feeling mostly great about them (I LOVE my professors. The projects/tests were all tough but SUPER fair and mostly not that bad at all. And two of them were actually last week which made my life 8000 times easier. Not always the case, Rach just told me she had one that consisted of writing NINE ESSAYS in two hours. Um? Remind me NOT to be an English major, k thanks.)

*Being done with finals, and feeling mostly great about them except for Behavioral Neuroscience, but deciding just not to worry because I was never going to do well in that class anyway and Dr. Struthers gives grace so I didn't think he'd fail me... and THEN talking to a bunch of people and finding out that EVERYONE thought it was horrible and thinks they failed. I had thought it was just me because I had more or less blown it off to study for Developmental (much more potential to be pretty). But no. One guy told me he studied for two days and reread all the chapters and still didn't even recognize two thirds of the short answer (me either). So in other words: IT WILL BE CURVED. Hurrah. I'm not screwed.
So basically the day went from "I'm done with finals and I mostly did fine and I don't even care that I blew Neuro" to "I'm done with finals and I did TOTALLY fine and BN's going to work out GREAT!" (Yay for post-final endorphin-induced eurphoria). Which might be presumptuous, but hopefully not. (Watch me fail everything now). 'Twas freakin sweet.

*FIREPLACES. I just love that we have them! I did my quiet time in front of the one in the small reading room last night... I looked on the Wheaton website for a pic but there isn't one, sad: so just picture a really cute cozy small little room with a bunch of armchairs and bookshelves and a roaring fire. And me right in front of it with my Bible. Yup so great.

*Conversations between my roommates like this:
Laura: Christine! Tell me about the mom! (on Alias)
Christine: I can't. You just have to watch it!
Laura: BUT WHAT IF I HAVE A HEART ATTACK?!!! YOU WOULD FEEL SO GUILTY!!!!

*Having a whole day between finals and leaving. I did it by accident (I thought I had one today) but it's SO preferable to leaving the next morning!! Last night I could just decompress and be happy without having to pack, I can enjoy everyone today, and I won't still be all adrenaline-filled when I get home (which, I can now tell you, is because my body's been releasing low levels of cortisol to my brain all week as I think about exams and prepare myself to work hard... yeah BN. Yeah.)

*This compline:

Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm.
Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm.
Let all the tumult within me cease.
Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace.

Father, bless the work that is done,
and the work that is to be.

Father, bless the servant that I am,
and the servant that I will be.

Thou Lord and God of power,
shield and sustain me this night.

I will lie down this night with God,
and God will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with Christ,
and Christ will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with the Spirit,
and the Spirit will lie down with me;
God and Christ and the Spirit,
be lying down with me.

The peace of God
be over me to shelter me,
under me to uphold me,
about me to protect me,
behind me to direct me,
ever with me to save me.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


...and I'll be home tomorrow. That's weird and really exciting.

Yell at me if I don't do some sort of written reflection on important events of the semester, even though I probably won't put it on here.

love love.

...(oh man! this is my last post of 1st semester of junior year! ...Oh, it was such a great one. <3.)>

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.