Friday, October 10, 2008

Oh, days...

I was not a happy camper this morning. I've been low on sleep all week and it's coming to a head of oversensitivity and quick-crashingness, I was feeling a little stressed about some stuff, and then I went to take my Behavioral Neuroscience exam and it was horrible.

I handed the exam to the TA, (after I asked her, since she grades the multiple choice, to please not judge me), started to head for breakfast, realized I forgot my ID card to get me in, and promptly started crying. (Because what else is there to do in such a situation, right?)

So...

I marched to Starbucks, bought myself a GRANDE Pumpkin Spice Frappaccino, AND an overpriced Pumpkin-Creamcheese Muffin, AND a BANANA, which I normally NEVER buy at Starbucks even though I always want one because I am morally opposed to paying 90 cents for something I get for free at Saga.
But desperate mornings call for desperate measures.
And then I sat at a big table in the corner and read Little Women and wrote cards for almost two hours and refused to feel guilty about any of those decisions. And it was kind of awesome.

Tons of other redeeming factors in the day...
Dr. Barwegen left me a voicemail early this morning and I hadn't gotten a chance to listen to it yet... "Hi Emily, this is Dr. Barwegen! I just wanted to call you to tell you that I'm praying for you!" Umm... oookay, thanks ridiculous encouraging woman. I started cracking up when I heard it because OF COURSE Jesus would ruin my pity party in the perfect way. Oooof course.

It was GOR-GEOUS today, 75 degrees and sunny and all the leaves were autumny and beautiful.

The Starby's barista looked really worried when I ordered, probably because I was like half-sniffly still (And probably because when I ordered the frap I was like, "Make it GRANDE! Go big or go HOME, right?!"). And when I ordered the banana he went in the back to make sure I got a fresh one cause the ones at the counter were sorta gross. Little things, man, little things.

There was a cute young family there; the pretty, pregnant mom was inside with the three-year-old-ish boy laughing as the dad mimed walking down stairs and riding in an elevator outside the big plate-glass window.

And Cat Stevens was playing.


And my next class was Advanced Statistics which is almost all people who also took that test. And they were all talking about how hard it was and one of them cried too and someone else apologized to the TA (we are such ridiculous Wheaton people-pleasing overachievers...). And our poor Stats prof looked really horrified and when he was reviewing for our Take-Home test he got all worried and was like "Um, I really hope this doesn't make any of you cry...". I love Wheaton profs.

The morning coffee-novel therapy cheered me up immensely, and one good convo with Christine and a great dinner with the boys and I was set. My high school girls came over tonight and we made apple cinnamon pancakes and cuddled and they are basically gorgeous.

And honestly sometimes I just need to have weepy mornings like that.

And also I like sweet gchatting-from-MEXICO (oh how i miss her) friends like these:

claire: BAHAHHAHAHA EMILY
claire: ok
1. that class sounds impossible my head hurts trying to think of what the name means
2. i love you
3. i dont have much of a list but that story is just sad and great at the same time
claire: ...do you carry little women around with you always in case of emergency?

(it is a pretty sweet cure-all... as are all of these.)

EDIT:
from a message she left while i was away:
claire: :) i just love when the right things happen ya know?

yep. i do. i am lucky.

2 comments:

mayr said...

i want to see you so badly.

also, claire, i was wondering the same thing - em, you would keep a novel in a first-aid kit :D

<3 LOVE you SOOOO much.

Anonymous said...

T6RA

sorry that i couldn't come to dinner tonight. But i love you! like seriously, i do.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.