Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hey Life, what's up.

Christine, David and I went to Great Clips today for haircuts. Well, in Christine's case apparently "long bangs to the side" equals "short bangs straight across", and in my case "shoulder-length" translated to "slightly below the chin". However, I think we all look gorgeous, and we went out for bagels afterwards, so errand well run... we may venture elsewhere the next time, though.

Parents visited last weekend!! My mom, Laura's mom, Christine's both, Heather's both plus her younger brother, and Matt's grands. We had a blast. This was the first time my mom's been out here when I wasn't packing or unpacking, so I really enjoyed showing her Wheaton in full-force... she came to chapel and Developmental with me, had lunch at Saga, walked around Blanchard at night... the full college experience :-). I LOVE her and we had a great time together- I am so blessed. Fun group activities included going out to dinner with the boys, lunch with Ames, a big suite "extended fam" excursion to a pottery-painting studio (my mother was VERY proud of her mug with palm trees on it...) and having everybody over here for a big brunch on Saturday. SO fun.

Seriously, it was so fun to see how well all of the parents got along and realize how much we do all interact as a big extended family. Repeat the blessed.

Also... is this just MY mom, or do ALL parents worry most of all that their child is COLD?! I realize that I go to school in the Windy City, but I have lived here quite frostbite-free for 2 1/2 years; yet my mother is convinced that she is solely responsible for making sure every inch of my body is as insulated as humanly possible... at all times. Despite my insistences that I was fine, I somehow ended up with a new coat, new boots, a new scarf, and two new sweaters. I'm reminded of how I mentioned to her once freshman year that I had forgotten my purple gloves at home... and received an OVERNIGHT EXPRESS package the next day containing EIGHT brand new pairs of gloves and mittens she had immediately run out to buy from Target.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you :-) It was pretty incredible of her (and my new sweaters are pretty freakin cute. Not to mention the lace-up boots...)

Chet and I took a fun walk tonight, seeing as it was actually not too cold (a positively balmy 35). Highlights included:
C: So I had Bible study tonight.
E: Cool, what'd you talk about?
C: Clothing ourselves with Christ-
E: OMG! JESUS SWEATSHIRT!
C: Yeah! Well... maybe more like white robes. So... I guess like a Jesus hoodie.

And discussing the hymn we sang in Chapel today- "Be Still My Soul". "In every change He faithful will remain" were lyrics I really needed to hear this week (slash month slash life maybe? but really, really this week). We talked about that, and making plans, and how to be proactive with thinking about the future while trusting Him and not overplanning... a much-needed and very helpful conversation; and of course God, in His ridiculous God timing, set me up- I got home and read my Scripture for the day...

Ps 119:25-32; vs 26: "I told You of my plans, and You answered me. Now teach me Your decrees."

Yep. Still thinking on that one. But it seemed quite timely. I can pray about "my plans"; He will reveal His in time; seek first the Kingdom...

Yikes. So much easier said than done. 1 Chron 5:20, yo.

This is getting long, I'm getting sleepy...

Back to psych hwk and vanilla chai :-)

Love from Blogworld, Wheaton, IL.

(ps... dear elise i love you more than my life love em!!!)



2 comments:

Mary said...

i love you.when do you come to here??

Elise said...

I love you too!
So much.
:)

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.