Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I can't think of one thing I would rather waste my time on than sitting here with you

Lyrics to the song I got my blog name from:

I am long on staying, I am slow to leave
especially when it comes to you, my friend
you have taught me to slow down and to prop up my feet
it's the fine art of being who I am
and I can't figure out why you want me around,
I'm not the smartest person I have ever met
but somehow that doesn't matter
no, it never really mattered to you at all
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome
at the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment and every minute that you give me

And I can think of a time when families all lived together
four generations in one house
and the table was full of good food and friends and neighbors
that's not how we like it now
Because if you sit at home you're a loser,
couldn't you find anything better to do?
Well, no, I couldn't think of one thing
I would rather waste my time on than sitting here with you
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome
at the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment and every minute that you give me

I wish all the people I loved the most
could gather in one place
and know each other and love each other well
and I wish we could all go camping and lay beneath the stars
and have nothing to do and stories to tell
We'd sit around the campfire, and we'd make each other laugh
Remembering when
You're the first one I'm inviting,
always know that you're invited, my friend
And at the risk of wearing out my welcome
at the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment and every minute that you give me

("Every Minute", Sara Groves)

1 comment:

amy@flexibledreams said...

YAY to you for making the switch!

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.