Saturday, April 16, 2011

sore.

Tonight at church, during the sermon as my thoughts wandered (it's all in really fast Spanish, ok? I heart my Spanish, but sometimes I drift...), I realized that in the back of my mind I was mentally counting all the parts of myself that are sore at the moment.

Sore- my legs. I woke up this morning with my thighs telling me I had gone on an extra-long run yesterday. Except that, I didn't. So why are they sore? Because a beautiful group of girlfriends had a trillion fun people over to their house to drink apple cider, listen to live music, and catch up. I was thrilled to hug and laugh with a bunch of people I love and smile at their gorgeous faces and love the music. And, when it turned into a hard-core dance party? Well, was I in the MOOD. We laughed and talked and danced. A lot. So much so that today... my legs are sore. (Yowch.)

Sore- my scalp. Because all through Iglesia tonight, I got to hold one of my favorite three-year-olds on the planet. She reached for me as soon as she saw me, and wanted to be in my arms for the entire service. And during the sermon, she whispered, "I want to 'brush' your hair!". I took it down and for the next twenty minutes, she sat on my lap facing me, combing her tiny fingers through my curls and crazily looping them into my elastic, then taking it out and doing it again. Over and over. She was still hanging around my neck when I went up for Communion; the pastor grinned as he blessed her in my arms and I took the Eucharist with a huge ponytail hanging off the top of my head, a la Pebbles Flintstone. By the end of the service, my scalp was singing that it was ready to stop being pulled at. But I got to spend a whole church service holding a beaming toddler I love... what better reason to be sore?

Sore- my heart. I have truly not been able to get enough of the Word the last couple of weeks. I'm memorizing passages by accident, over how often I find myself needing to read them. "When I am afraid I put my trust in You, in God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid." "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to comfort all who mourn, to grant to those who mourn in Zion... a beautiful headdress instead of ashes." "That they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord to display His beauty." "For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation." "Trust in Him at all times, O people, pour out your heart like water before Him; God is a refuge for us." "Be... giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." I am having to anchor myself in these words, and I am drawn to them right now in a way I haven't felt in months, maybe years. It's wonderful. And it will not leave my heart alone, including parts which are tender and just wanting to hide. I am sore.

Tonight I sat in church and as I counted my sore spots, I couldn't help but smile. Sore legs, sore scalp, sore heart. And I thanked God for the great richness in which I somehow get to live.

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.