Tuesday, August 31, 2010

first day of kindergarten...

My high school youth group leaders/great friends Matt and Amy's 5-year-old, Christopher, started kindergarten this week (!!!).

Amy posted this wonderful conversation with him on her blog:

"...We had orientation last Friday and then this conversation on the way to the car...

Me: How was it?
C: (small voice) Fine.
Me: Were you scared?
C: (small voice) Yes.
Me: Did you cry?
C: (small voice) Yes. When we were walking back to the classroom.
Me: (shocked) Seriously?! You cried?!
C: (small voice) Mom, a lot of kids cried.
Me: (suddenly not joking and feeling awful) I am so sorry baby! I didn't know you were that scared. (lean in for a hug)
C: (laughing uncontrollably) I didn't CRY mom! No one CRIED. I'm going to be fine. (continued laughter for most of the car ride home)

Yeah. So, basically he's a crafty little liar and I have no idea about reality anymore."


I laughed sooo hard. I just thought it was too amazing not to share.

I lived with them for several months the year Christopher was three and a half and Hannah was about to turn two, and I absolutely loved it. Reading her blog today made me nostalgic, so I was looking through my journal entries from that summer and found this:


"Today I was on the computer in the living room and Amy, Christopher, and Hannah were eating lunch in the kitchen. I overheard this:

Amy: Christopher, what are you when you put your spoon in your nose like that?
Christopher (age 3 1/2): A... a WAL-rus!
Amy: Yup!
(side note, how much do I love her mothering style).

Then she called to me, "Hey Em, by the way, did you teach them to sing, "I am the eggman, I am the walrus"?"

I totally did!! I'd forgotten but a couple weeks ago Christopher was putting his spoon up his nose and exclaiming about how he was a walrus. So obviously, I immediately taught them to sing "I am the eggman, I am the walrus" in a chorus. But then they went to the beach for a week and I hadn't thought about it since.

Me: Oh yeah, I did! Wait, did they say it again?
Amy: OMIGOSH. They've been fighting over who gets to be the eggman and who gets to be the walrus for a week!!
Me: SERIOUSLY??!!!!! Aahhhh!!! That makes me so excited!!!!!
(and right on cue...)

Christopher: I AM THE WALRUS!!!
Hannah (22 months): No, IIIII the walrus!!!!
Christopher: I'M the walrus, Hannah, you are the eggman!
Hannah: III the egg-maaaan!!
Christopher: I am the walrus!
Hannah: I the egg-maaaan!!

(and it continued while Amy and I CRACKED UP LAUGHING)."


Love you guys madly :-)

Summer 08- a minute before this I'm sure the spoon was showing off walrus-ness


http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AoaNgRGuwPU/THzB9cY9A1I/AAAAAAAACTY/UnYTVpey0Wk/s1600/IMG_1101.JPG

First day of Kindergarten. So grown-up.

1 comment:

amy@flexibledreams said...

Ahhhh, when were they ever so little? Oh, right. Like five seconds ago.

I love you Em!

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.