Tuesday, May 11, 2010

the first post-graduation days

Randonmness in no particular order...

  • In the 2 days since graduation, I have...
-Run 3 miles with Chet
-Hung out swapping stories and laughing for hours with my old roommates
-Smoked cigars with Matt and his dad and brother and cousin (although "smoked" might be an exaggeration of my abilities in this particular area...)
-Cooked and ate a delicious dinner with the Tuesday boys
-Been to Starbucks three times
-Eaten Panera twice
-Cleaned my room
-Stopped by to see people spontaneously
-Enjoyed a glass of wine
-Blogged
-Not done any homework.

So far I really like adult life, but I feel like it might get a tiny bit harder?


  • My dad is learning to text message. He sent me one about his feelings on coming out for graduation:
"Hi em i love you soooooooooooo much it was such a treat to be with you and talk and now 0f course your truly an adult a coll ege grad hooray f0r em 0pke gq ve0ng"

Precious.
Oh how I love him.


  • I start my first real job tomorrowwwwww!!!!!!!!
Yikes. Pray for me. I'll let y'all know how it goes.


  • Christine and Heather left this morning. That SUCKS!!! It was way harder than I thought it was going to be. I was depressed this afternoon and couldn't figure out why (I'd had an unexpected free few hours, seen great people, had fun plans for the evening, etc.) and then started journaling and that came out and I started crying.
Those girls in so many ways ARE my Wheaton experience. We've been close friends for four years and lived together for two. So many of my close friends are staying in the area at least for the next year that I really haven't processed much about saying goodbye to specific people (because I've barely had to). Realizing that though of course we're going to stay obsessed with each other and involved in each other's lives and best friends, we are really all now living ACROSS THE COUNTRY FROM EACH OTHER IN EVERY DIRECTION (Alabama, Colorado, Illinois)...
is really, really sad and hard. I will miss them and sharing life with them in a more daily way, so, so much.

But mostly, I am just so grateful for them and who they are and for our friendships and the last four years together.

  • On the Heather-and-Christine note in a happy way, since it was their last night, I slept over their house last night. We pushed two couches together to make a big bed so we could all sleep together and snuggled and talked before bed (we missed you, Married Roommate!). It was just wonderful. We've actually always done that the night before we leave for the summer, we realized- although it was easier when we all lived in the same ROOM. It was the perfect last night together.
Then we woke up to all of their parents and assorted siblings bringing us bagels and scones from Panera to start the morning before I headed to what I thought would be my first day of work (turned out to be a few hours of paperwork and then they let me go home!) and they headed out to their adult lives... apart from me (sob).

  • One lovely part of the evening was that Christine told us last night how her parents prayed specifically for her friends at college when she was still in high school, and how she knows "you guys are who they were praying for!!". Isn't that cool? I just think that's cool. It actually makes me teary (again).

  • Um. I love my life. I love my friends. I think being an adult is gonna be good. So far all of my purchases as I falter into financial independence have been coffee or food, is that bad?

2 comments:

Heather Johnson said...

I love you Em. You have formed me in more ways than you know. I shall write you a letter and spell out all the ways (that I know of). Keep on livin that crazy adult life... it may be adult but it is still Emily!!!

stephy said...

Uh oh, your dad learned to text? You're going to get some hilarious ones! At least that's what happened for me when my dad finally learned. :)

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.