Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rach said it better.

My great friend Rachael wrote a post a few days ago that I identified with to my bones. She said I could guest post it here so I am :-)

"...I feel like maybe these past few weeks have been a Slash Fail for me. Not in a- if you were Catholic you'd be saying Hail Mary's for a month- sort of way. Just... a slash fail. In some ways I want to take back the last few weeks, make them less messy, less spastic, less loud. I regret some things said and some things done. I regret not regretting some of it. I've been distracted and detached, more interested in finding momentary satisfaction than living the life I've been called to. I've failed to listen to the Lord well, failed to stop moving long enough to remember that the Lord offers his healing, enclosing hands. Oh he break bones and bruise hearts and-- as Sufjan says- " he takes and he takes and he takes." But those hands also and always offer purpose and direction, identity and strength for fulfilling what we are called to.

So. Slash Fail. I'm repentant and saddened yet simultaneously encouraged by the Lord's promises in the midst of my incompetence. I'm somewhat disgusted with myself but also laughing at my youth, my inexperience, my ridiculous desire for control, and the ever present grace of my Lord and Father. John Stott said he pictures God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit smothering laughter at our mishaps, giggling at our futile attempts to fix things in the same way we might laugh at the toddler who stubbornly tries to fit a square block into a round hole. But, even as He/They smile at us, strong hands are there to redirect the block and soothe our frustrated, stubborn hearts."

Amen. To all of it.

(Thanks for the words, babe.)

Thanks for the grace, Lord.

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.