Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh hey cancer!

My mother and I are sitting in a small, sterile room while a very kind and patient doctor with an Indian accent and expressive hand gestures goes over with us every chemical that is about to be running through her veins for the next 18 weeks.

This includes discussion of side effects. Tiredness, hair loss, are normal, he explains. Other common effects... blah, blah, blah...

He smiles reassuringly at us. Do you have questions? Really. ANY question at all, don't be afraid to ask. I'm here to help with WHATEVER you need-

And my mother immediately jumps in. She does have a question, and judging from the expression on her face, it's urgent. Even alarming. Some word in this litany of side effects and description of the journey ahead has caught her ear, and I worriedly wonder which one it was...

Commanding our attention, she holds up her hands, displaying perfectly rounded, shiny dark pink (dusty rose, in fact) tips.

"You said chemo can cause changes to fingernails. What about these? Can I still have them done?"

Oh, sure, he assures her. As long as you're careful about everything being sterilized, painting your nails is no problem. There are even some oncology nurses who volunteer to do manicures...

No, no, you don't understand. They're not REAL. I get acryllics. I LOVE my acryllics. This is really important. Can I still get acryllics?

My mother, who through this discussion of chemo and tumors and percentage rates has laughingly cracked jokes (good ones, too) and compassionately sympathized with the doctor over the stress of his office politics, raises an eyebrow as she waits for the answer.

I mean it's the important stuff that matters, really.

The good doctor pauses as a slightly less-than-confident expression crosses his face for the very first time in our meeting.

"Um... I think so... well... hm. You know, I'll check on that for you. I'll ask um... the nurses..."

Pause...

"You know," he says, "in my time as an oncologist, I'm not sure anyone has ever asked me that before."

Welcome to hanging out with my mother.

Y'know, I think she's gonna be okay.

2 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

I LOVE your mom! Still praying :-)

Laura said...

OH, Em! I'm so glad that you got to be there with and for your mom and that things are going ok. Please let her know that Andrew and I pray for her daily! I love you dearly and this post really made me laught!

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.