Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Our standard, and our surprises.

Last night I told Matt that I've felt frustrated/discouraged with my Bible time lately. I had just spent time with a beautiful friend who is drawing so much strength from the book of Isaiah right now. As she read parts of it out loud to me and explained with such passion and love in her voice how God had been using it to comfort her in a difficult time, I was inspired by her gratitude and humility, thankful to be her friend... and freakin' jealous.

I've been reading pretty consistently, but I haven't "felt" super connected or excited or insightful or anything. I haven't "felt" able to concentrate on one book or plan for more than a few days. It just hasn't been... like... you know. When you're all OMG THIS IS WHAT THE BIBLE'S TELLING ME RIGHT NOW AND WHY GOD'S SO AWESOME. It's just been, oh, cool, the Bible. And then I feel frustrated and discouraged, and like, what the heck is wrong with me, I should be GETTING IT and EXCITED ABOUT IT. And instead it's just been generally encouraging and I-like-Jesus but not felt (ooh, there's that word again) particularly noteworthy or spiritual.

Matt was all wise and reminded me that sometimes we feel a certain way when we read the Bible and sometimes we don't, and there's a time for both. And then I got home and this was the reading for the day in My Utmost for His Highest:

"...What God wants us to do is to 'walk by faith'... We will have to get up on our own, without any inspiration and without any sudden touch from God. Then comes our surprise and we find ourselves exclaiming, 'Why, He was there all the time, and I never knew it!' Never live for those exceptional moments- they are surprises... we must never consider our moments of inspiration as the standard way of life- our work is our standard."

So perfect. And convicting. Hm, coincidence? Or... not.

God is so good. (I think it's funny that He gave me an "exceptional moment" to teach me not to need exceptional moments, though.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm....good.

last-week-ra

Heather Johnson said...

Yay Em. I like that too. Thanks for sharing- I've felt the same way after studying Jeremiah so academically :)

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.