Monday, August 1, 2011

.bits.

Lauren and I stayed in the house with the girls all weekend. It was a blast (althoughhh we were pretty happy to see the full-time staff this morning I think.) Saturday night after church we let them have a "piyamada"- a sleepover. We watched a movie, made popcorn, and all the girls slept in the living room together. In the past I´ve slept in there with them... but we looked at each other when they were still up and chatty at 2 AM and headed to bed. We then let them sleep in/watch TV until about 10 Sunday morning. And Sunday was honestly a virtually perfect day in my book... after we all got up and had brunchish, we hung around the house cooking and dancing, ate lunch, played cards, did a workshop with the girls on discovering their and others´ ´love languages´, baked "American desserts" (chocolate chip cookies and brownies), played soccer at a nearby park, and they all on their own initiative agreed it would be a good idea to go to bed early. Rock. Star. Day.


I love this work.


I´ve been trying to grab one-on-one moments with the girls where I can... taking one with me to get bread from the tienda next door, washing dishes with another. I love one-on-one time.


I am trying not to say "my girls". I am so glad to be here but I am also very aware that two weeks is not six months. I´m so excited for Lauren to get to continue to form these relationships with them.


In staff devotionals today we read Psalm 91. It´s beautiful in Spanish and in English.


Have I mentioned how much I love the staff?


We have a beautiful girl here who is too young to have her driving learner´s permit in the States. A few months ago she birthed a perfect baby girl... by a member of her immediate family.
The other day I passed by her room and glimpsed her lying on her side on the bed. I knocked and walked in. She turned over and smiled at me. I saw that she was lying on her side facing her baby, who was laying on her blanket and smiling open-mouthed up at her mom. "Look, hermana. Isn´t my little girl so beautiful? Look at her eyes. Aren´t they so beautiful?" She turned back to smiling and cooing at her baby. "Mira, hija! Mira! Donde esta Mami? Donde estoy?" She laughed and gave her kisses on her face.
This morning at the staff meeting we discussed how we´ve never seen even a moment of anything other than responsible care and concern and affection and joy from her over her child.


I´m obsessed with the book Gracias by Henri Nouwen. I want to memorize every other page.


The cell phone ringtone of Hermano Tino, the director of Albergue, one of the kindest and most respectful, faith-filled men I know, is "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train.

No comments:

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.