Friday, July 15, 2011

this blog series briefly interrupted...

...because I am having a Staycation with my small group for the next three days. AKA a retreat but at one of our houses... but we treat it as if we're away: all about Jesus and each other, and I'm unpluggin'. (And I didn't get my act together to pre-write the entries).

I'm sure everyone is concerned enough with my blog that this explanation was sooo necessary.

In other news:

-I leave for Bolivia ONE WEEK FROM TOMORROW!!! This. Is. Insane. I am so excited. SO excited.
Sweet Lindsay went to a travel agent in town and bought my domestic flight (I fly into an international airport in La Paz, which is about 12 hours by bus from Coch), so now theoretically I'm all set. I say theoretically because, "it is Bolivia", which means travel plans are not travel plans until you are on the plane. Oh how I do not exaggerate (right, Lauren?!). But I will get there. Even if I have to hitchhike. (Parentals: Don't worry, I'm totes joking!!) (Everyone else: Haha, yeah, well actually...).
And I got the one shot I still needed yesterday. Ouch.
And I know where my passpot is!! That's right. Be impressed. Functional adult: me (I definitely didn't lock myself barefoot out of my office on Wednesday and have to call our landlord to let me in or anything. No way, that'd have been so embarrassing.)
And I'm so excited and can't believe I'm actually going to be there so soon.


-WE WERE ACCEPTED FOR A TOWNHOUSE IN OREGON!! A mile from GFU's campus, it's a TOWNHOUSE which is way bigger than what we thought we we'd be able to find, the pics look cute, and it's in a residential neighborhod with lots of families (<3) which sounds way more fun to me than a commuter apartment complex.
I am significantly relieved to know I will not be studying for my graduate classes on the street somewhere, which at the rate our applications were going, was starting to somewhat be a concern.
And "we" is me and my cool new roommate Bethany, who is entering the same program with me. She's my age and went to Taylor and we haven't met yet, but we're now on phone-basis of "Hey it's me again" since we've been calling each other so often about the apartment search. She seems super sweet and I am excited to live with her.


-I love my mother so much. I am trying really hard to be a functional adult... really... but she is being super helpful and lovely with all the details. No idea what I would do without her.


-Whenever I get nervous about moving to Oregon, I google "coffee shops in Newberg, OR" and feel better just looking over the long list that immediately pops up...
Umm, I mean, I pray?? (I do! I swear.)


-My psycho best friend is flying to meet me in Colorado and then driving the three more days to Oregon with me. Because she is ridiculous. You should all be so jealous. I'm totally serious. Best. Road. Trip. Ever. Best best friend ever. Why is my life so insanely charmed?!!


-I Am Leaving Wheaton In One Week. After my two weeks in Bolivia I will be back here for three days to pack and then I drive to Denver for Tam's wedding. And then I am gone. This is weird. And I feel really excited and good about everything... but also, really sad. In a healthy way. I'm having like, "last hang outs" with people. It's bizarre and hasn't sunk in yet and is... sad.


-I added a freakin' awesome playlist to the bottom of my blog, so you should all click over and listen.

Love love.

1 comment:

April said...

Please, PLEASE don't bring your passpot on a plane! Especially if you're traveling to Bolivia... cannabis is illegal there! I don't want you to end up in the clink! :)

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.