Monday, November 22, 2010

the streets you're walking on, a thousand houses long.

My dear friend Matt works full-time in a home for homeless people who are dying of AIDS and other terminal illnesses in Washington, D.C.

He absolutely loves it. And it is, as you can imagine, tremendously difficult.

The past few weeks he has been spending a lot of time with the 8-year-old son of one of their residents. Here's an excerpt from a recent email (name changed, emphasis' mine).

"...This is one of those relationships that has been teaching me about love.
It has also been a reminder that I cannot fix everything that I want to.
John's wife and son need money and I don't have that to give to them.
His son is going to grow up without his dad and I can't do anything about that.

But, as Dr. Litfin always says, we aren't to respond to need, we are to respond to calling.
The needs are overwhelming and we can easily get bogged down in a futile attempt to meet all of them. God is reminding me that even though I can't make everything better, we are doing important things. We are providing a place for John to die, which is huge, and, in reality, all that Joseph's House is designed to be.

And even though I can't be there for his son in a year or five years or ten years, I can hang out with him now.
I can run around playing games with him and love him in the present.
So not enough,
but all that I have to give right now,
and so from my perspective,
it is enough."

So much to be said on those themes, but I will leave good words alone for now.

(I will say this: for all of the many areas at which I am so sub-par... I am so good at somehow finding the best people in the world to be my friends. I am, all of the time, in grateful disbelief over the people I know.)

2 comments:

Eva Geranton said...

Amazing...inspiration to give all you can as often as you can. You do have very incredible friends! I heard it said that to have great friends is to be a great friend..blessings.

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Emily,

Very interesting post.

This reminds me of what Mother Teresa said- WE CANNOT DO GREAT THINGS BUT WE CAN DO LITTLE THINGS WITH GREAT LOVE.

We cannot solve all the problems of this world but we can do in our own little ways to improve,to ameliorate,to provide solace,to comfort people in need and distress.

Best wishes,
Joseph

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.