Monday, July 20, 2009

Pics!!

Since I fail miserably at sending out email updates (for some reason blogging takes less emotional energy, I think because I can pretend no one will actually read it...), here's some pics of my host fam and house! Ones from the internship will come later, after my awesome friend Danae posts them on FB for me to steal...


Cute cute host parents (Don Nicanor and Doña Felicidad).


Beautiful host sisters... Dimelsa, age 13, and Noemi ("Nena", or Baby), age 9 (but 10 on Wednesday, she would want to make sure I pointed out.)


Crazy host siblings. The boys are Ivan (11) and Danny (15). Ivan was not quite as into the whole posing-for-the-camera thing as everyone else...


My happy rooommmm! I love it.


Nena cooking "cena" (dinner).


Sisters knitting on my bed... I'm not sure why they both look kinda grumpy in this pic. They're not, I promise.


See, now Dimelsa's happy like normal :-) She's so much fun.


Me with Nena. This is a common position. "Caigame!" ("Carry me!") was one of the first phrases I learned to recognize quickly...


Me with my host dad. When he sees me he says, "Loca!" which means "Crazy girl!" and I say "Loco!" ("Crazy man!") back, and then we laugh and he kisses me on the head. I love my host parents a lot. Note my host mom cooking bread in the back... we eat A LOT of bread (see a few pics down...)


Me with the padres.


And here they are both shoving bread in my face. While this picture was taken as a joke, the sentiment behind it (trying to feed me ALL THE TIME) definitely is very for real. Trust me.


The beautiful prayer flag Sarah sewed as my going-away present... it hangs above my bed and I pray the prayers on it in the mornings.


So... that's a visual glimpse into my Bolivian life! It took so ridiculously long for the pics to load it may be the last one shared for awhile...


LOVE and miss y'all. So much. :-)

5 comments:

Elise said...

gaahahahah I love you!!!
amazing pictures, Bolivia is definately getting a dose of some emily goldberg lovin. :)

and your host family is so beautiful. how super lucky you are! :)

miss you.

Heather Johnson said...

Hey girlfriend,
I love your host family. Especially tus padres :)
I am SO glad you posted these pictures, now I can visualize your life. I'm praying you feel better and I love you dearly

Unknown said...

ahhhhhhhhhhahahha i dont know exactly why but i nearly died laughing at the "caigame" picture. so nice to see a little bit of your life. what beautiful pictures and people :) miss and love you.

Katerina said...

Goodness, Em! Your pictures rock, and so does your host family! The love and joy spilling out of all of you is evident. My favorite picture is of your host parents shoving bread in your mouth - ha! You're in my thoughts often.
love, Kat

Christina said...

ah! what wonderful photos. that idea about how you will be who are at home during HNGR is so evident in these pictures, in such a good way :) I don't know why, but it somehow surprised me to look at these pictures - I was like, "oh! there's emily! she looks just the same! and she looks like she's acting like her great self!" of COURSE you are. miss you.

Human Needs Global Resources Covenant, 2009

As fellow travelers on this journey, we commit to this covenant before God. Lord, in Your mercy, hear these our prayers:

When confronted with scarcity, need, and inadequacy, may we be nourished by the Bread of Life and the Cup of Salvation. Abundance overflows from Your table, sustaining all who come in faith. Father, help us.

When monotony blurs our vision and dulls our senses, may we encounter others as Christ did, through intentional presence in daily life, submitting as clay to be formed into vessels filled with the Spirit. Christ, guide us.

When wounded by the fractured condition of Your people, may we be united by Your Lordship in faith, hope, and love; seeing, as through the facets of a diamond, the beautiful spectrum of Your light reflected onto Your holy Church joined in praise. Spirit, empower us.

When all Creation groans, afflicted by injustice and driven to despair, may the promise of redemption root us in the hope of Your Kingdom: "Behold, I am making all things new!"

Holy Trinity, send us now into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage to love and serve You with gladness and singleness of heart.

Amen.